July 19 – Teachers on the River
Minnesota and Wisconsin educators, this workshop on the water is for you! We want to get you on the river this summer, rediscovering your local National Park, the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway.
Join the St. Croix River Association (SCRA), the official non-profit partner of the Riverway and our field trip partners for this FUN, hands-on workshop that will inspire you to include Riverway and watershed education as part of your annual curriculum cycle. Let us help you with the curriculum and materials!
Cost: Free, except you will need to pay for a MN State Parks Day Pass ($7)
Teachers on the River Workshop Benefits
- Paddle the Croix with other teachers and have a fun day on the water
- Discover the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway and all the exciting environmental education opportunities
- Learn more about this National Park and the 50th Anniversary of the Riverway
- Find out about 2018-19 Riverway classroom and field trip opportunities
- Receive access to pre and post activities to complement your classroom or field trip program
- Experience student activities during the workshop
8am: Introductions, Icebreaker and National Park Service Orientation
9am: Geology and Pothole Hike and field trip opportunities with a MN Interstate Park Naturalist
9:45am: Shuttle to the south entrance of MN Interstate Park (307 Milltown Ct., Taylors Falls, MN 55084)
10am – 1:30pm: Teachers on the River (Kayaks provided by SCRA & NPS); Lunch on the River
1:30 – 3:30pm: Field Trip Activity Stations at Osceola Landing
- Let’s Go Mucking with NPS Park Ranger
- St. Croix Haiku with Greg Seitz from St. Croix 360
- What is a Watershed? with SCRA education staff
- Naturalist Activity Bins with WI Interstate Park Naturalist
- Riverway Wildlife with Wild River State Park Naturalist
3:30 – 4pm: Pre & Post Activities, Q & A
4:00pm: Shuttle back to MN Interstate Park
Minnesota DNR State Parks
National Park Service
St. Croix 360
Wisconsin DNR State Parks
Sunday, August 5 Wisconsin Land Trust Days
Please plan to join us from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 5 at our Kelly Creek Preserve to celebrate Wisconsin Land Trust Days. Enjoy a preserve walk while learning about our 70 acre “Kelly Creek Preserve” which has been restored to native prairie and oak savanna. Witness our Kelly Creek sign dedication.
Then go to the Kinnickinnic Historical Society Ice Cream Social at the Kinnickinnic Church and savor some delicious ice cream made from the blackcaps harvested at Kelly Creek Preserve! The KRLT ice cream social starts at 3:30 p.m. and ends at 5:30 p.m.