For hunting and trapping rules and regulations, please see below.
The Headwaters Preserve formerly known as Trumpeter Swan Preserve is a 48-acre KRLT property that includes the headwaters of the Kinnickinnic River, wetlands, groundwater seeps, planted pine and oak trees, uplands, and a former Trumpeter swan nesting site. The preserve is bordered on the south by the Wisconsin DNR Headwaters Fish and Wildlife Area and a private property that the KRLT holds an easement on. After gaining direct access to the once-landlocked property in 2020, we have since installed a parking lot, are working on finalizing signage, and will also be continuing the work of restoring the preserve to native prairie and oak savannas. We look forward to sharing the progress of this preserve with you!
We are in the beginning stages of the restoration the preserve using an existing forest stewardship management plan and insights from UW-RF, our goal is to restore the area to native prairie and oak savanna by addressing overdue management of the pine plantation and other invasive trees and plant species. This will allow the remaining oaks to thrive and the site to be more suited for future seeding of native prairie grasses, wildflowers, and oak savanna habitat. Additionally, this management strategy will improve access to the property and encourage partnerships with the community and natural resource organizations.
General Public Rules & Regulations
Hunting & Trapping Regulations
Hunting, fishing, and trapping are permitted on the Headwater Preserve according to State and Federal regulations. For more information on hunting, fishing, and trapping rules, regulations, and season dates, please refer to The State of Wisconsin Hunting, Fishing, and Trapping Regulations or see the DNR website at dnr.wi.gov and search keyword: regulations. Headwater Preserve Regulations and General Information
- Off-road motor vehicle use is prohibited. Certain exemptions apply to Class A, and certain Class B disabled hunters. Individuals seeking an exemption should contact Kinnickinnic River Land Trust at 715-425-5738 for a permit.
- All pets must remain on a leash except for legal hunting activities during open seasons.
- Please respect private lands near the Headwater Preserve.
- You are responsible for undertaking your recreational activity in a safe and legal manner.
- Non-hunting visitors are also enjoying the Headwaters Preserve during Hunting and Trapping Season; they may or may not be wearing blaze orange.
- Hunters should be especially aware of gun safety and be certain of your target and what is beyond.
It is illegal to:
- Discharge a firearm, bow, crossbow, or air gun from, on, or across a designated trail, access lane or from the parking lot.
- Shoot a firearm within 100 yards of a building devoted to human occupancy on lands you do not own without permission. Target shoot on the Headwater Preserve.
- Trap within 100 yards of a designated trail or parking lot and within the 66 foot access lane.
- Park in the Headwaters Preserve parking lot overnight. Camp anywhere on the Headwater Preserve.
- Start fires or have campfires on the Headwater Preserve. Store personal property on the Headwaters Preserve.
Tree Stands and Hunting Blinds:– Only portable tree stands, and hunting blinds are permitted and must be removed daily after use.
- Damaging trees, cutting shooting lanes, marking trees, and the use of screw-in tree-stands or steps are considered damaging and are illegal.
Location: South of 70th Ave and west of 150th Street in the Town of Warren, St. Croix County.